Friday, December 18, 2009

The Engine Dies

I'm writing this post from home. Because I'm back home.

I lived on the boat for a week in the marina, making last minute repairs and preparations then we set sail on December 6! We sailed for four days working our way to Pensacola where we have friends we were going to visit, then as we were anchoring in Pensacola our engine went out. Oof. So now we're stranded for a bit until everything gets worked out. So, a slight hitch, but we'll be back on the water again soon.

As for the days of sailing, they were lovely. We didn't plan well for how long the sail would take the first day to Ingram Bayou so we ended up sailing at night. It became a bit stressful when it was too dark to see channel markers well, so Dad had me below reading a chart (something I had to learn how to do in about 5 minutes by myself at this time), calling out what bearings to take, what number the marker would be and if it would be flashing. The situation all culminated with us coming up on a channel marker without seeing it until it was too late. We saw this giant marker come out of nowhere right off the boat, Dad turned the wheel hard, then we heard POW! and watched our grill on the back of the boat go flying into the water. There was no struggle at all; it looked like a flying saucer going into the channel. Probably knocked a dolphin or two unconscious. We've seen so many dolphins, by the way!

We'd been sailing with two other boats from our marina (Kalex and Virtue & Vice), so learning to use the radio and calling them occasionally was fun. I felt like a real sailor being all "This is Dragonfly to Kalex" on the radio.

After Ingram Bayou we sailed to Big Lagoon; not a far sail, but a freezing one. Have I mentioned the weather has been in the 40s? And damp? With no heat? And, of course, a lot of wind? Wonderful. We just keep reminding ourselves it's warm in Tampa. We've just got to get to Tampa. That's become out mantra. We anchored again with Kalex and Virtue & Vice and ended up dinghying over to a small, uninhabited island with them. It was incredible to look around and see that the only footprints were ours. It was a nice break from bad weather, obliterated grills, and scary night sails. We all needed it.

I cooked macaroni the next morning for breakfast, because I'm on a boat and I cook macaroni for breakfast if I feel like it. Cooking on the boat is like cooking on a chemistry class Bunsen Burner. There's a flame and that's it. Three days into the trip I'm freaking out because it's cold and I'm always damp and uncomfortable, so I think to myself "I'm just going to make muffins. That will make everything ok for me right now." So I spend an hour trying to get the oven up to 375. An hour. I put the muffins in and end up letting the oven get too hot, so I cut it back, then it's too cool.After several minutes of this, I take the muffins out and they look perfect. Then I unwrap them and the bottoms of all of them are charred black. Almost lost it right then. So we had muffin-halves for breakfast.

Waited out nasty weather in Big Lagoon, then left a couple of days later to head to Pensacola. As we pulled anchor and headed out, the fog started to roll in. Hard. We couldn't see anything around us. Once again, the channel markers became terribly elusive and thus, a menace. We learned to use fog signals to let other boats know we were there and under sail. That was good to learn. It was spooky, not being able to see land or other boats, and to hear nothing but fog horns and distant bells from channel markers. Luckily, we had everything entered in the GPS (my project the night before!) so navigating wasn't too terrifying. We made it to English Navy Cove, off of Pensacola and put an anchor down. When we did the engine made an awful noise, then once again, our favorite sound. POW! And then it was dead. It couldn't have happened at a better time, though, being so close to friends in Pensacola. So they came to pick us up and I took my first warm bath in weeks. It was fabulous.

Mom and I ended up coming back home for a few days to pay bills and whatnot (and by whatnot I mean to take showers and sleep in dry beds) while Dad worked on the engine. Because that's a fair trade. It's been strange being home again so soon because everyone I see is always "I thought you were on a boat?" Then I have to explain and I feel all "Just kidding, guys! I'm already back!" BUT, we're going back to the boat within the next few days to continue this weird trip. Hopefully without another hangup like this too soon.

I'll post some photos soon, too!

1 comment:

  1. To the Monochrome Sailor:

    Forsooth! I had thought the town this week had looked a tad more black and white, and I could have sworn I heard the sound of your music (which is not black and white at all) ringing and window-rattling from your novelty driving apparatus. Why didn't I guess it was your presence that made it so? I hope that I shall see you soon, before you, alas, depart to brave the stormy seas once again. I'm sure the rest has been welcome, but your hands are sailing hands and your lips will yet learn the language of the tides. Bon Voyage, fair maiden of the uninhabited island where your footprints are the only stories!

    Sincerely,
    M. L. S.

    ReplyDelete