Friday, January 8, 2010

Some Port St. Joe Style Bitchin'

Alright, Port St. Joe was okay for a few days, but now the fact that we have to go to the same two places to escape the boat every day is beginning to wear on us. We can only drink so many cups of coffee and read so many books. It's boat purgatory again here, every one waiting for a weather window to leave but in the meantime just talking about how cold it is. And while 30 degrees is livable, 15 degrees at night, sitting in a open cockpit for hours with a strong wind on you...Not so much.

And now we're conflicted as to what to do when we do get above-freezing weather. All this trip we've been telling ourselves, "we've just got to make it to Tampa. Everything will be warm in Tampa." But that's not the case anymore. Tampa is just as cold as everywhere else. Ugh. Even Key West has apparently been 50 degrees. So maybe we'll come back home and finish this trip in March when we can feel our noses? The headline on the weather channel a few days ago was "Florida's Coldest Winter in Over 25 Years!" Poseidon hates us. Oh, and I got a head cold. So I just want to lay in bed all the time (see right; my room). Word. Oh yeah, and our water tanks aren't working properly and the marina turns off shore water to avoid freezing the pipes. So we have no water a lot of the time. Fabulous.

But! We got a care package form my aunt a few days ago which included pralines. Pralines bring out some competitive, hoarding side in all of us. I can't ask Dad to hand me a praline because I know he'll give me the ones with the least pecans. Because I would do the same thing to him. My aunt and her friend even broke them up into individually labeled bags with each of our names on them to keep them safe. There was a fourth bag labeled "For Emergencies Only!" so we keep hoping some emergency situation will arise that will let us break into those. "My feet are cold! Is that an emergency?" "My head kind of hurts! Is that an emergency?" Pralines are not safe on this boat.

So, we cook and bake things to heat up the boat. We read and do crossword puzzles to pass the time. The point of all of this is, we fully understand the phrase "cabin fever" now. We've got to make a move either east or west sometime soon before we freeze to death in Sunny Florida!

PS: Roll Tide!

No comments:

Post a Comment